East wall lighting conditions prior to 2003 restoration

1953 alterations (continued)

After Sargent's sconces were extinguished, the Hall was re-lit with eight brass bucket-shaped fixtures. These were placed on the east and west wall pilasters in the same position occupied by the McKim fixtures. The lights projected harsh light up the walls and cast undesirable shadows on the murals. This lighting effect contrasted sharply with Sargent's intentions for the Hall.
East wall lighting conditions prior to the 2003 restoration (1999 photo)
The Triumph of Religion