Sargent-designed sconce after 1953 restoration

1953 alterations

The final lighting changes occurred in 1953 during the last restoration of the murals. Sargent’s sconces were left in place, but the frosted bulbs were replaced with decorative brass spheres. The two early McKim sconces on either end of the west wall were permanently removed. Their whereabouts are unknown.
1. Original Sargent-designed sconce
after 1953 restoration (1999 photo)
2. Detail of brass spheres installed after
removal of the frosted bulbs (1999 photo)
Boston Public Library
The Triumph of Religion