architectural frames and curtains for Church and Synagogue

East wall (continued)

During the 1916 installation, Sargent put in place the architectural frames—he called them shrines—designed for the two subsidiary pendant images on the east wall. He covered the empty spaces within the frames with tapestries, specially manufactured, replete with Jewish and Christian symbols. These “place-holder” curtains, somewhat theatrical, increased the anticipation with which the public awaited the final three east wall panels.
1. Architectural frame and curtain for Synagogue, ca. 1916
2. Architectural frame and curtain for Church, ca. 1916
Boston Public Library
The Triumph of Religion