detail of skylight during renovation

Historic restoration of Sargent’s lighting scheme

The 2003 restoration program by the architectural firm Shepley, Bulfinch, Richardson and Abbott will reinstate Sargent’s lighting scheme as he left it in 1919. In 2002, the roof openings were re-opened, allowing natural daylight to enter the Hall once again. The glazing in the roof openings incorporates ultraviolet light filtration. Also in 2002, workers removed the fluorescent lighting from the skylights. During the restoration, specially designed louvers will be installed in the attic space above the skylights to control the amount of light entering the Hall.
Sargent Hall, detail of one of the skylights during renovation, readmitting natural daylight into the space (2002 photo)
The Triumph of Religion