Sargent Hall, lit by skylights

Restoration of lighting (continued)

During the 1953 restoration campaign, the lightbulbs in the sconces designed by Sargent were replaced with decorative brass spheres. This transformed his light fixtures into decorative objects on the walls. New bucket-shaped brass fixtures replaced Sargent’s sconces as the source of electric light in the Hall. These changes altered Sargent’s vision for the Hall by shifting the direction and placement of illumination.
1. Sargent Hall, with fixtures added in 1953
2. Brass spheres from 1953 on Sargent sconces
3. Bucket-shaped fixture added in 1953
(1999 photos)
The Triumph of Religion