Sargent Hall, lit by skylights

Restoration of lighting

The 2003 restoration sought to reinstate Sargent’s original lighting scheme, which had been altered significantly in the decades since he finished work on the Hall. In 1942, the three skylights were filled with banks of fluorescent bulbs, replacing natural daylight with gloomy, artificial light.
1. Sargent Hall, looking northwest, lit by skylights and Sargent’s electric wall sconces (1919 photo)
2. Fluorescent light fixtures in the skylight before the 2003 restoration (1999 photo)
The Triumph of Religion