Sargent Hall, looking North, and detail of sconce

Early lighting conditions

As seen in this archival photograph from 1895, Sargent Hall was originally lit with natural and electric lighting. Three large, rectangular skylights in the ceiling allowed daylight into the Hall. Eight electrified wall sconces installed by McKim were present on the pilasters on the east and west walls. The four large, glass globes on each sconce provided additional light for the space. This lighting arrangement remained in place until 1916.
1.Sargent Hall, looking north, 1895
Boston Public Library
2. Detail of original electric wall sconce
The Triumph of Religion